Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Make me green again

                                   
I am the pride of Africa,
I am the hills of Plateau,
I am the rocks of Abeokuta,
The waterfalls of Ogbomosho,
The islands of Lagos,
The coal of Enugu,
Out of my bellies flow rivers of black gold
In solitude my mind wanders
Wanders far into the past
I used to be green
Full of promises and full of hope
Today I sit still while my children bleed me to death
Consumed in deep hatred, they kill one another
And they say
Come let us dance
Let us celebrate our mother
Yet I feel the hunger of orphans,
The tears of widows,
And I weep, and weep again..
They fight and say that they are not one
Torn by the webs of religion and tribe..
What religion? What tribe?
Is  not love and peace the universal language?
Corruption reigns supreme
And the Law is fast asleep…
Waking only momentarily from its deep slumber
And staggering like a one-eyed man…
I used to be green..
Now I m but a shadow of my past
When men were men
When leaders were leaders…
Nostalgia feels my bones
I ache for the return of those times
Now the only green I see is
The algae of unemployment
Where is the pride in education?
Where is the dignity in labour?
Money has become their god,
And insecurity is the new song,
I sit still and wail…in silent screams..
Make me green again!
Make me green again!!

No comments: